Tuesday 17 August 2010

Eminem featuring Rihanna - Love the way you lie

I've been loving this song for awhile but hadn't heard the full song, just snippets and had never seen the music video.  I tapped it in on youtube and I've got to admit it was one of the most touching, poignant music videos I've seen for a long time.  Eminem and Rihanna make a powerful pair singing about the complicated pull of an abusive relationship - Rihanna as a victim of abuse herself and Eminem with his turbulant relationship with his ex wife.  I've read critisim on the net about the video glorifying abusive relationships but I see it as more of a cautionary tale of how love can keep you tied to a situation you should never be in. 

Rihanna sneers through the video showing her distate for the subject mixed with the emotion of love....'Like the way it hurts' portrays the feeling of being tied to another person and feeling like you deserve it or that pain is an expression of love. 

Eminem is powerful as the remorseful abuser who can't quite control himself and regrets it the instance it's done.

I've read a few scathing articles on the internet claiming the video is glorifying violent relationships but why would Rihanna - a victim of abuse - participate in such a video?

No comments:

Post a Comment